Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Jefferson Search

I am still searching for Eros Gray Bailey's family obituaries.  I forgot to mention that I have an obituary for Eros Gray, but it only names his parents as Mr. and Mrs. Robert L. Bailey.  A couple of days ago I wrote about his brother Sylvester and yesterday I found an obituary for his sister Minnie which named their mother as Henrietta Jefferson.  Today I found an obituary for another sister Flossie.  Her full name is Flossie Lee Bailey Owen.  She departed this life on March 5, 1957. Here is part of her obituary.
Mrs. Flossie Lee Bailey Owen 64 wife of Henry W. Owen died at her home, Chatham, Route 2 at 8:00 a.m. today after a lengthy illness.
She was born in Pittsylvania County, November 6, 1892, a daughter of the late Robert L and Henrietta Jefferson Bailey.  Deceased was a member of Concord Methodist Church.
Survivors include her husband and the following children:  K.T. Owen, Plainsboro, N.J; Herman Owen, Princeton, N.J; Clifton Owen, Chatham, Route 2; Arthur Owen, Danville, Mrs Otis Parsons, Danville; Mrs. Boyd Hailey, Danville; Mrs. Julian Slayton, Danville; Mrs. Randill Moore, Chatham; and Elmo Owen, Chatham, Route 2.
Also left are three brothers and four sisters; Sylvester Bailey, Rice; Dave Bailey, Hurt; Eros Bailey, Gretna,;Mrs. M. C. Motley, Chatham, Route 6; Mrs. Oscar Bennett, Axton; Mrs. Minnie Giles, Chatham; Route 2 and Mrs. Melba Swope Richmond.

That makes three siblings that I have found: Sylvester Bailey, Minnie Giles and Flossie Owen.  I also know that Hettie Bailey another sister married Oscar Bennet.  And Hettie Ella married a Motley.  I believe Hettie Ella is the Ela or Louise, but I can't be certain.  And as for Melba Church.  That is a mystery.  There is a son called Melvin in the 1910 census.  I am thinking that this may be a mistake.  I just began the search so we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment