Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dalton Ancestor Genealogy March 9, 2010

The state seal of Virginia.Image via Wikipedia


So I have found my ancestors back to 1806 Jarrett P. Dalton.  That much is a sure thing and I could probably go with the census and one gravemarker as proof.  However, I will try to get a copy of the marriage license and just maybe that will help me find Jarrett P's father.  Jarratt P and his father will link me to the American Revolution.

Now I think that it is very difficult to do any of this work before 1806 without going to the Library or to the courthouse.  Unfortunately for most of us, we do not live in the county that houses our ancestor's deeds, marriages and the like and to hire someone could be very costly.

Yesterday I logged onto the Library of Virginia site.  They do have some digitalized images and I found Jarrett Dalton's Pension request.  It states that he was a soldier with the 13th Virginia Light Artillery Batallion.  The witness was Jubal Dalton, W. B. Shepherd and R. G. West.  It said that he had a ruptured bad eye sight and chronic rheumatism due to exposure during the war.

To find this information go to http://www.lva.virginia.gov/.  On the home page will be three categories at the bottom  (1)  For The Public  (2)For Localities and State Agencies and (3) For Libraries and Educators.  Click on Digital Collections under  (1) For the Public

You have clicked on Digital Collections. Next you will see numerous selections.  Click on  Collections A to Z.  Now scroll down until you see Confederate Disability Applications and Receipts.

Click on that one.   Now under this selecton  Browse An Alphabetical List.
Type Word or Phrase.  Type in the last name of your ancestor.  In my case I typed in Dalton.
When all the selections popped up my name was not on the list, but wait there is somewhere else to look.

Hit the back button key until it takes you back to the List of Collections A to Z.  Right under Confederate Disability Applications and Receipts you will find Confederate Pension Rolls:  Veterans and Widows.  Click on this.
As before go to the Browse An Alphabetical List:
Type Word or Phrase.  Type in the last name of your ancestor.  Once again I typed in Dalton.
There were quite a few Daltons so I kept hitting the next key until I came upon the J's and there was Jarrett.  Now I click on Jarrett.  This takes me to Jarrett's individual file and I click on his name again.  This takes me to Jarrett document image file.  I click on the http image above his name and this directs me to his pension file.  Each file usually consists of four or more pages.  Each page is individually separated.  I click on each page and make a copy for my files.

So with this application I have found out information about my ancestor.  It has not helped me find out about his grandfather, but I know a little bit more about the man.

Colonial Records Of Virginia - Various
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment