Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Our Astound Past March 23

March 23, John Ward
I am afraid my search was fruitless today. I logged onto genealogy.com to their message board yesterday, but no one has written. I contacted several of the message boards. I never realized how many people were out their searching. There must be thousands.
I suppose I am one of the lucky ones. I have always known who my grandfather, my great grandfather and my great great grandfather were. I can’t imagine how hard it could be, if you had no information at all.
I do have some documents that may help
The compendium of American Genealogy Volume II 1942 Baltimore Genealogical Publishing Company 1968 says the following:
Major John Ward (died 1808) with his brother Jeremiah resided in Albemarle County as early as 1753 built Ward’s Mansion Campbell County Virginia and Ward’s Road running south from Lynchburg. M. lst in 1744, Ann Chiles.
So he lived in Albemarle County as early as 1753, but he was in Virginia long before that time because he was married in Virginia to Ann Chiles in 1944.
Virginia Revolutionary Publick Claims Volume 1 compiled and transcribed by Janice L. Abercrombie and Richard Slattern has the following:
John Ward, Gent. Late Comr. Of Prov. Law for Bedford was employed in that office 206 days alld 5s per day for 2 soldiers on march from Camden to Cumberland Old Court house 10 diets.
John Ward, Gent. 183 gals. Peach brandy of best quality for General Greene army what at Deep River in Chatham, 4 bu. Corn, 1qt brandy for public Nov. 1782
John Ward, Gent. 57 days pasturage for 40 head publick beaves for Xpher. Irvine Com. Pro. Law.

No comments:

Post a Comment