Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Peter Field Jefferson 1735 - 1794

Peter Field Jefferson's will was either never written or was never filed at the Courthouse of Pittsylvania County, Virginia.  However, his wife Elizabeth's will was filed in the Pittsylvania County Circuit Court Clerk's Office in Will Book 1 page 149.

Elizabeth Jefferson, the elder, of the County of Pittsylvania and State of Virginia, being weak and low in body, but of perfect mind and of sound (disfeasing ??)  memory do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following to wit. first I desire that all my  just  debts of any shall be paid.  2nd I give to my sons to wit. Field Jefferson, John Jefferson, Samuel A. Jefferson and Alexander Jefferson twenty five cents to each and to the children of my sons Archer Jefferson, decd. and Thomas Jefferson decd, seventy five cents a piece to be divided among the said children. 3rd I give to my daughter Patsy Brewer seventy five cents. 4th I give to my daughter Judith Jefferson the tract of land on which I now reside my mare the stock of (?)  and hogs and the whole of the household and kitchen furniture of every kind and description whatever to her and her heirs forever.  Lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my daughter Judith Jefferson whole and sole Executrix to this my last will and testament hereby revoking all other or former wills by me made and established this as my last will and testament.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 11th day March, 1828.
Signed, Sealed published and declared by the said Elizabeth Jefferson as and for her last will and testament and at her request and in her presence we have subscribed our named as witnesses.

Elizabeth Jefferson  her mark

Witnesses
James Hopkins
Samuel A. Jefferson
William Jefferson

At a court held for Pittsylvania County the 16th day of June 1828.  The Last Will and Testament of Elizabeth Jefferson decd was proved by the oaths of James Hopkins and Samuel A. Jefferson two subscribing witnesses to be the act and deed of said Elizabeth Jefferson and ordered to be recorded.  An on the motion of Judith Jefferson, the Executrix in said will named who made oath to the same and together with Samuel A. Jefferson her surety entered into and acknowledged their bond in the penalty of 500.00 conditioned as the law direct certificate is granted her for obtaining a probate of the said will in due form.
Teste  Will Tunstall clerk

Elizabeth Jefferson died on May 7, 1828 thirty four years after the death of her husband.  It is possible that her sons and her other daughter Patsy had received by deed property long before their mother's death and therefore, she didn't bequeath any possessions to them.  This will mean I will have to search deed records for the time period of 1794 to 1830.
There are many books in the library which abstract deeds for Pittsylvania County.  I will be reading from those in the future.
This does tell us that she had eight children:
Field Jefferson, John Jefferson, Samuel A. Jefferson, Alexander Jefferson, Archer Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson, Patsy Jefferson Brewer and Judith Jefferson.
Please note that there is no mention of slaves in this will, but she did have some land and a home.


No comments:

Post a Comment