More references for Field Jefferson
Hennings Laws of Virginia
May 17, 1755
Volume 6 page 494,495
An Act for appointing several new ferries
I. Whereas it is represented to this present General Assembly, that public ferries, at the places hereafter mentioned, will be of great service to travellers and others.
II. BE it therefore enacted, by the Lieutenant Governor, Council and Burgesses, of this present General Assembly, and it is hereby enacted, by the authority of the same, That public ferries be constantly kept at the following places,....From the land of Field Jefferson, on the north side of Roanoke, In Lunenberg County, to the land opposite thereto, the price for a man, four pence, and for an horse the same. For every coach, chariot, or wagon and the driver thereof, the same as for six horses; For every cart, or four wheeled chaise, and the driver thereof, as for four horses; For every two wheeled chaise or chair, as for two horses; For every hogshead of tobacco, as for one horse: For every head of nett cattle, as for one horse: For every sheep, goat, or lamb, one fifth part of the ferriage of one horse: And for every hog, one fourth part of the ferriage of one horse; according to the prices herein before settled at such ferries, respectively, and no more.
From the Book Early Settlers of Mecklenburg County, Virginia compiled by Katherine B. Elliott
page 19 and 20
Deed Book 4 page 337 Dated April 26, 1756 Recorded November 4, 1756
Robert Wooding of Halifax County to Field Jefferson of Lunenburg County
consideration 400 pounds
200 acres on both sides of Smith's Creek, adjoining the county line, purchased by Wooding of William King; also 245 acres on Taylor's Creek purchased of Joseph Hix; 400 acres on Wynn's Creek in Halifax County purchased of William Harris of Lunenburg County; 400 acres in Halifax County purchased of Thomas Finney; 400 acres on Cherry Stone Creek in Halifax County.
Sealed Robert Wooding
Witnesses: John Camp, William (X) Coventon, Hugh (HM) McCoy
Robert Wooding was indebted to John Hood, Merchant, of Prince George County with Field Jefferson as the guarantor, or endorser, mortgage was given to Field Jefferson, who agreed to pay the debt by September 8, 1756 for Wooding.
Deed Book 1 page 89 Dated December 18, 1764 Recorded July 8, 1765
Field Jefferson and Peter Field Jefferson to George Jefferson all of St. James Parish, Lunenburg County
consideration 250 pounds,
44 acres on north side of Roanoke River being 40 acres given to Peter Field by his father on September 28, 1762 and 4 acres reserved by Field Jefferson at the Ferry Landing. Land adjoins land of Hutchins Burton
Signed and Sealed: Field Jefferson and Peter Field Jefferson
Witnesses: John Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson, Robt. (X) Lark,
Deed Book 1 page 92 Dated December 16, 1764 Recorded July 8, 1765
Field Jefferson of St. James Parish, Lunenburg County, to George Jefferson
consideration: 100 pounds
1/2 acre on south side of Roanoke River, being part of land purchased from Andrew Hampton, includes Ferry Landing.
Signed and sealed Field Jefferson
Witnesses: John Jefferson Thomas Jefferson
Deed Book 1 page 93 Dated April 16, 1765 Recorded: July 8, 1765
Peter Field Jefferson to George Jefferson
consideration 100 pounds
20 acres on north side of Roanoke River, being part of land given to Peter Field by his father by deed dated September 28, 1762.
Signed and Sealed Peter Field Jefferson
Robert (X) Lark
Life by the Roaring Roanoke by Susan L. Bracey
For many years there was no church south of the Roanoke, and it was necessary for the citizens to cross over from the south side by ferry to attend a church. Roanoke Church, the only church south of the Mehirrin for twelve or thirteen years and the only one in its immediate area for a longer time, quite naturally was attended by these people, as well as by others from miles around on the north side of Roanoke. For two years there was no public ferry across the Roanoke, so the southsiders had to cross by the private boat or at fords. Then Keith's Ferry was established near the Horse Ford. Two years later the license to operate it was given to Martha Alexander who apparently ran it for six years. Then, in 1746/47 its license was awarded to Thomas Twitty. This ferry was situated approximately eleven or twelve miles east of Roanoke Church and was the only publicly licensed ferry on the Virginia part of the Roanoke until April 1747. At that time Field Jefferson was granted the right to keep a ferry at a location roughly south of Roanoke Church. It was, purposefully, convenient to the church. Prior to its establishment, most of the upper or western-most inhabitants on the south side of the river would probably have continue to make their own ways across, because of Horse Ford Ferry was just too far downstream to have been of service to most of them. When Jefferson's Ferry was established, however, ferriage on it was made free on Sundays, and the people used it rather than to transport themselves. As a result of this practice, it was sometimes referred to as the Church Ferry. For such transportion, the vestry compensated its owner.
The Sheriffs of Lunenburg provide an excellent example of what was occurring throughout the state. There are repeated entries in the order books revealing mistakes made by various sheriffs over the years, which indicate either negligence or dishonesty. In 1753 James Mitchell had failed to account for 34,865 pounds of tobacco. Later he was found guilty of making false returns. Sheriff Field Jefferson in 1755 was fined fifty shillings by the colony for "Deficiency, Messizances and neglects" in his office. On several occasion he and other sheriffs were sued by fellow citizens. These suits probably arose from their improper collections of the tobacco normally used for the payment of taxes or fees.
Cumberland Parish, Lunenberg County, Virginia 1746 - 1816 Landon Covington Bell page 255
Field Jefferson was a vestryman for Cumberland Parish from 1749 to 1757. He lived in the part of Lunenberg County that was later cut off to form Mecklenburg County, Virginia.