Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Field Jefferson Will in its entirety

Field Jefferson Will
Mecklenburg Virginia County Court House
Will Book 1 page 4

In the name of God, Amen, I Field Jefferson, of Lunenburg County, and St. James Parrish being in my proper sense and memory, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following.  First of all, I resign my soul to God who gave it, and my body to the ground, to be Buryed in a Christian like decent manner, at the discretion of my Executors, and for what worldly goods it has pleased God to Bless me with, my will and desire is, that after my just debts and funeral charges are paid they may be disposed of as follows.
I give and bequeath to my wife Mary Jefferson, a Gold Ring of a Guinea value.
I give to my son Thomas Jefferson ten pounds curt. money annually during his natural life to be laid out by my other sons toward bringing his necessary clothes __ and fifteen pounds curt. money immediately after my death to pay the rights, patent fees of what lands he has taken up in Albemarle and Amherst Countys if I shall not do it in my life time.
I give and bequeath to my son Peter Field Jefferson the plantation whereon I live  including all the lands I purchased of Francis Howard (excepting ten acres at the Ferry Landing) and part of the back land running a straight line from the dividing line of two Howard's Hill it reaches Holloway line to him and his heir and assigns forever excepting also one hundred feet square at the Burying place.
I give and bequeath to my son George Jefferson the reaminder of my Back land except as much of the said land as is mentioned in my Bond to John Speed hereafter taken notice of to him and his heirs and assigns forever.
I give and bequeath to my son John Jefferson all my land in the south side of Roanoke that I purchased of Andrew Hampton, and whereon my son Peter Field now lives, together with ten acres on this side of the river at the Ferry Landing as before mentioned to him his heirs and assigns forever.  Further more my will and desire in that whereas there is now pending a law suit between Field Farrar and myself concerning the land last mentioned , now if the said Farrar shall recover the land that then my two sons Peterfield and George Jefferson shall each of them pay my son John Jefferson two hundred and fifteen pounds curt. money in lieu of the said land but if we should not be the case in the said suit, then each of my said sons, Peter Field and George Jefferson only to pay my son John Jefferson one hundred pounds curt. money to make up the difference between their lands and his, and my will and desire is, that if my son John Jefferson should die before he comes of age or has issue lawfully begotten that then his part of the estate to be equally divided between my other two sons Peter Field and George Jefferson them and theirs heirs assigns forever
I give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Nicholls the labor of a negro man slave named Robin during the absence of her husband William Nichols.
I give and bequeath to my two daughters Judith and Phoebe Jefferson one hundred and fifty pounds curt. money.  If my daughter Phoebe Jefferson shall die before she comes of age or marrys, then my daughter Judith Jefferson to have her part.
I give and bequeath to my friend John Speed about one hundred and fifty acres of land, being part of the back land mentioned above be the same more or less.  Beginning at a corner Black jack on Holloways line and thence a due West course to Speeds own line including all the land between Terrel, Williams and Holloways lines to him, his heirs and assignes forever.
I give and bequeath to each of my grandchildren Mary Delany, Susanna, and William Nicholls and God daughter Mary Burton a gold ring of a guinea value.
And lastly my will and desire is that all the rest of my estate of what kind soever be sold to the highest bidder in such manner as to make the most of it, and the produce of such sale to be equally divided between my three sons Peterfield, George and John Jefferson.
And I appoint my friend Henry Delany, my sons PeterField, George and John Jefferson to be the executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and annulling all other wills by me made.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this eight day of June, 1762
Field Jefferson
Signed Sealed and pronounced as his last will and testament in presence of John Day, Marinter Sanders, Mourning Day

At court held for Mecklenburg County on Monday the 10th day of June, 1765.
The last will and testament of Field Jefferson, Gent. decd. was offered to proof by George Jefferson one of the executors therein named and was proved by the oath of John Day and Mourning Day two of the witnesses thereto subscribed and also by the oath of the executor and admitted to record.
Teste:  John Tabb  C.M.C


I apologize for any misspellings or misinterpretations in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment