Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February 23, 2011 The Dalton Family



The above pictures are of my great grandparents  Albert Lee Dalton and Rose Lee Dove Dalton

As you may know if you have read my recent posts,  I am working on Albert Lee Dalton.  Yesterday, we completed finding all the information for me, my parents and my grandparents.  Now starts the hard work.

First, I know that Albert Dalton and Rose Dove Dalton are both from Pittsylvania County.  How do I know this?  First, by what my family has told me and mainly by my grandfather's birth certificate.  Under the information Father of the Child, you will find the following:  Father's name, color, age and birthplace.  So this is a great start because my grandfather was born in 1906.  My great grandfather was 39.  That would put his birth date at around 1867,68.  And it says that his birthplace was Pittsylvania County, Virginia.

Now we have some facts from the birth certificate:
1. His name is Albert Lee Dalton
2. Birthplace and home:  Pittsylvania County, Virginia
3. Wife:  Rose Lee Dove
4. Born at or around 1867/68

I know that my grandfather was not the only child and not the oldest.  There is this amazing tool on the internet called Ancestry.com.  If you have that available to you, go to the family trees.  Many times someone is already working on that line and you will find valuable information.  Now I am not saying that it is all factual or the right information, but it will give you some hints and sometimes the real facts.  Now let's say that no one has been working on your family.  Bummer.  Let's go to the Census records.

Another pitfall in the census records is spelling.  Many times the person transcribing the information has the wrong spelling.  For instance, in the 1910 census they have Albert ? Dalton Albert N Dalton married to Besie L. Dalton, with children Charly M., Carmelia V., Oris B.    Now this is when information from your family becomes important.  I know that granddaddy had a brother named Charly, a sister named Cornelia V. and another sister named Ocie Bell.  I looked at the original document and they had just transcribed the name wrong.  It should have been Rosie L.   I admit the name was hard to read.   So the oldest child Charley was 4 in 1900.  Now, if I didn't have any other resource, my best bet is the Pittsylvania County Circuit Court Clerk's Office.  The Courthouse and records are located in Chatham, Virginia.

More information to follow tomorrow.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment