Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February 1, 2011 Robert Adams 1754-1790

Broadside, order by John Page, president of th...Image via Wikipedia


Campbell County Will Book 1 page 153
In the name of God Amen I Robert Adams of Campbell County being in weak in body but of sound judgment and memory thanks be to Almighty God for it: do constitutes and appoint this to be my Last Will and Testament in form and manner following (viz)
First, I recommend my soul to God who gains it in hopes that at the resurrection of the Dead I shall rise in the judgment.
Judgment of the righteous and my body to the earth to be decently interred at the discretion of my executor hereafter mentioned.
Item.  I will and desire that all my just debts be paid out of my Estate.
Item.  I will and bequeath to my beloved wife Mary Adams the third part of my Estate after my Debts are paid, during her natural life and at her decease to revert to my Children.
Item.  I will and bequeath the remainder of my Estate to be equally divided among my children and the reversion of their mothers third part to be equally divided among them also.
Item.  I do constitute and appoint Captain William Ward of Pittsylvania County my sole executor of this my last Will and Testament and I do by these presents disannul and make void all and every other will or wills by me heretofore made.  In Witness whereof I have hereunto sat my hand and seal this 24th Day of December, 1789.
Signed and Sealed in presence of Sarah Ward, John Everatt, James Mitchell
Codicil to this within Will (vizt)
My further will and desire is that my Executor within mentioned shall give to my Children, Charles Adams, Robert Adams, Joel Terrel Adams, William Adams, Polley Adams, John Adams, James Adams, George Adams, Penelope Adams, Christopher Adams, Edward Adams and Milley Adams their parts of my Estate as they come of age or marrys. In presence of James Mitchell and John Everett
At a Court Held for Campbell County, May 6, 1790
This within last Will and Testament of Robert Adams dec'd together with the codicil thereto annexed were proved by the oath of James Mitchell and John Everett witnesses thereto subscribed and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of William Ward the Executor is therein named who made oath thereto according to law Certification is granted him for obtaining probate thereof in due form giving security whereupon he together with John Ward, Anderson Moorman and John Shackleford his securities entered into and acknowledged this Bond in the penalty of three thousand pounds. Conditioned as the law directs for the said Executor due and faithful, administration of the said decedent's estate and performances of his will.
Teste:  Robert Alexander

***************************************************
I have heard through family stories that Robert Adams was visiting his sister Mildred Adams at Edgehill Plantation in Pittsyvlania County when he became ill.  He is buried in her family cemetery.  Edgehill Plantation is no longer.  It is either under water at Leesville Lake or the remants of the mansion is hidden somewhere in the woods.

By the will, we know that he was still living on December 24, 1789 and by May 6, 1790 they are recording his will at Campbell County.  He was either 35 or 36 and he left behind all his young children.  He did live well and help secure the country for freedom.  That is a lasting legacy that any child would be grateful and honor their father.  His friend and brother-in-law was his executor, Captain William Ward  Husband of Robert Adams' sister, Mildred.  I cannot find Mary Terrell Adams' gravemarker.  She was said to have lived to be 88 years old.


View of the Leesville Lake from the Ward Cemetery where Captain Robert Adams is buried.

Captain Robert Adams  Virginia Militia  Revolutionary War



Campbell County, Virginia wills and inventories, 1782-1847
VIRGINIA WILLS BEFORE 1799: A COMPLETE ABSTRACT REGISTER OF ALL NAMES MENTIONED IN OVER SIX HUNDRED RECORDED WILLS, ARRANGED ALPHABETICALLY FROM ADAMS TO WRIGHT. COPIED FROM THE COURT HOUSE RECORDS OF AMHERST, BEDFORD, CAMPBELL, LOUDOUN, PRINCE WILLIAM AND ROCKBRIDGE COUNTIES.
Richmond, William and Timothy Terrell,: Colonial Virginians,
Biographical genealogies of the Virginia Adams families,: With notes of some collateral branches
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment