Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Monday, December 20, 2010

December 20, 2010 Robert Adams 1680-1740

Seal of Goochland County, VirginiaImage via Wikipedia
I have been posting grave markers for quite a while and I thought it was important that I conclude Robert Adams and Mourning Adams before more time passed by in my blogs.  I am attaching a transcribed copy of Robert Adams' Will which was recorded in Goochland County on June 17, 1740.  It names all of his daughters then living and some of their married names.  I do not know where Robert Adams is buried.  I am assuming somewhere in what is now Albemarle County.  I have heard that some of the Adams relatives are buried at Penn Park in Charlottesville, Virginia.


Will of Robert Adams of Goochland County 
Dated February 2, 1738 Recorded june 17, 1740
In the name of God Amen, I Robert Adams being of sound mind and memory do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following.  Imprimis I give and bequeath all my land and plantation on the river where I now live to my son James and to his heirs forever after the decease of my wife Mourning, to whom I give the said land and Plantation during her natural life.  Item.  I give and devise and bequeath unto my son Robert all my land on the Creek where I live and the mill to him and his heirs forever, the ridge back of my stone house is to be the dividing line between my said sons.  Item. I give devise and bequeath unto my Daughter Judith Clark and Mary Moreman eight hundred acres of land lying at the foot of sugar loaf mountain to them and their heirs forever to be equally divided between them according to quantity and quality. and if they can’t agree on the division that then the same be done by a surveyor at the cost of my daughter Mary.  Item. I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth Moreman and to her heirs forever four hundred acres of land lying on my Chunk Creek joining the county line.  Item I give devise and bequeath unto my Daughter Agnes Farguson four hundred acres of land lying in a fork of Licking Hole Creek lying on the North East side of Thos. Saunders land to her and her heirs forever.  Item.  I give, devise and bequeath unto my daughter Susanna and her heirs forever four hundred acres of land lying on the south west side of Francis Coleys lines on whose land John Miles now lives.  Item. Igive devise and bequeath unto my Daughter Lucy and to her heirs forever five hundred and fifty acres of land lying where the mine was dug and where Mark Lively lived.  Item.  Igive devise and bequeath unto my Daughter Ann the younger and to her heirs forever four hundred acres of land lying on my Chunk Creek joining my great Tract up the Creek and is a separate patent.  Item.  I give, devise and bequeath unto my Daughter Sally and to her heirs forever three hundred and ninety acres of land lying on both sides Dover Mill Creek where I lately dwelt.
Item. My will is that if any of my maiden Daughters die before they are married then the land hereby given shall be equally divided between my two sons and their heirs. Item. I give devise and bequeath all the rest of my estate of what kind or nature soever both reall and Personal to my wife Mourning to be enjoyed and possessed by her during her life and to be disposed by her among her children as she shall think fit provided my said wife remain a widow, but if she should marry then my will is that she shall be entitled only to such part as the said will give her and the remainder in that case give to my two sons to be equally divided between them.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the Twenty second day of February, 1738.  Hereby also appointing my said wife executrix and revoking all other wills.
Robert Adams
Signed sealed published and decalred to be his last will in the presence of Henry Wood and Martin King.
At the Court held for Goochland County June 17th, 1740.  This will was prov’d by the oaths of Henry Wood and Martin King to be the act and deed of Robert Adams deceased whish was order to be recorded Deed Book 3 page 306.

Marriages of Goochland County, Virginia, 1733-1815
Goochland County, Virginia Court Order Book 1 and 2, 1728-1731
Goochland County, Virginia Court Order Book 3, 1731-1735
Goochland County, Virginia, wills and deeds, 1736-1742
Goochland County, Virginia, wills, 1742-1749
St. James Northam Parish Vestry book, 1744-1850, Goochland County, Virginia
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment