Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Alexander Jefferson Will Book 2 page 273

In the name of God Amen I Alexander Jefferson Sr. of the County of Pittsylvania and State of Virginia being of sound mind and disposing memory make this my last will and testament.
After my just debts shall be paid it is my wish and I so order that all the property, money and c which I may hold at my death be disposed of as follows:
Item lst  If my dear wife Mary shall live longer than I live she shall have the use and benefit of all my lands with one third part of all my other property money and c which I may possess at my death to use for her comfort during her life provided she does not marry.  If she should marry she shall forfeit all the benefits otherwise secured to her by this my last will and testament.
Item 2nd After my dear wife shall receive the share above set apart for her benefit the remaining property money and c shall be equally divided amongst my several lawful heirs except so much as by this arranged would be secured to H. George or my Daughter Elizabeth, his wife.
Item 3  It is my desire and I so order that an amount of money equal to the property money and c received by any one of my children from my estate be raised out of my means (??) at my departure from this life and put on interest and thus remain during the natural life of my daughter Elizabeth and the interest shall be given annually to my Daughter Elizabeth so long as she may live.  At her death the money above mentioned on interest for her benefit during her life shall be equally divided amongst her bodily heirs if she leave any-but if she leave no bodily heir the money must be equally distributed amongst my heirs so as that H. George who married my Daughter Elizabeth shall never control any part or parcel of what I may own or claim at my death.
Item 4  All the property or effects above set apart for the benefits and comforts of my dear wife Mary shall be at her death disposed of as required under Items 2nd and 3rd.
Furthermore apppoint T. B. and J. H. Jefferson to act as my Executors
Pittsylvania County, Virginia January 18, 1857.
Attested to by
Henry Ramsey
William H. Ramsey
J. H. Jefferson

At a county court held for the county of Pittsylvania on the 17th day of May 1858 the Last will and testament of Alexander Jefferson sr was this day returned to the court proved by Wm. H. Ramsey a subscribing witness and was continued til next term.
And at another day to wit at a County Court held for the said county on that 21 day of June 1858 The last will and testament of Alexander Jefferson decd was further proved by Henry Ramsey a subscribing witness to be the act and deed of Testator and was ordered to be recorded.
And at another day to with  At a county court held for said county on the 19th day of July, 1858, Thomas B. and James H. Jefferson named as executors of Alexander Jefferson decd came into court and with A. H. Moorman and Thos. R. McDearman as their sureties who made oath to their sufficiency entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of ten thousand dollars conditional according to law certificate is granted them for obtaining.  (the last line of the will was cut off)

No comments:

Post a Comment