Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Monday, August 16, 2010

August 16, 2010

Martha WashingtonImage via Wikipedia
I have been searching other sites for further information.  Genealogy.com has a forum for the chiles family which may be helpful or not.  There are so many different conversations about different members of the family that it takes a while to sift through the information.  I just found a site called alabamapioneers.com which I haven't had a chance to read yet.  I also signed up on Cyndi's list.  Just last week I finished a book called, "Murder In Virginia" by Suzanne Lebsock.  The book tells the story of the murder of a farmer's wife by persons unknown in Lunenberg County, Virginia in 1895.   It's more than a murder story because it describes rural life, politics and race relations during that period.  It is definitely worth the read.  I am currently reading "Martha Washington" by Patricia Brady.  Martha Washington was born in New Kent County on June 1, 1731.  Her book describes the life of a planter during this time which is informative for the serious genealogist that wants to know more than a date and place of birth and death.  And since our Henry Chiles is known to have lived in the area makes this book very interesting.
As in many books I have read, the author always mentions the Virginians love of dance and music.  I can tell you that this has not changed.  They still love dancing.  I grew up in a family that loved to go dancing and I learned the Virginia Reel many years ago.

We cannot go back in time except through our imagination.  With help from books, manuscripts, letters and records from local sources, for a just a moment we can be in the upstairs ballroom dancing the Virginia Reel.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment