Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace

Rose Dove Dalton and Albert Lee Dalton Homeplace
This house and property belonged to John Ward, Jr At his death he willed the property to his nephew William Ward

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jefferson Obituary and other things

Yesterday I posted the newspaper notice of William Thomas Jefferson.  It was sent to me by the Piedmont Genealogical Society. They were very nice and sent it to me right away.  I believe that I must have e-mailed the wrong address the first time I wrote.
The obituary stated that he was born near the Pullens Post office in Pittsylvania County which is about 9 miles from Chatham.  It would have taken about four to six hours to walk a straight line from home to the county seat of Chatham, but a horse and buggy would have taken about three hours. He was seventy eight years old or close to that and would have made his birthday making his year of birth around 1834 which is what I have in my records.
In 1834 Andrew Jackson was the President of the United States.  Our two United State Senators were John Tyler and Benjamin W. Leigh.  The Governor of Virginia was Littleton Waller Tazewell.
During 1834 the McCormick Reaper was patented on June 21, 1834.  John Lane began to manufacture plows faced with steel saw blades. Charles Darwin was aboard the Beagle sailing through Santa Cruz, Patagonia and the Falkland Islands.
In New York City Bob Farrell composed and played for the first time "Turkey In The Straw" and Delmonicos opened serving meals for 12 cents.


No comments:

Post a Comment